For this assignment we will use a secondary article to trace the scientific method in a primary article.
My explanation are in green
Summary of Instructions:
Select a topic from the article options below. Next, click on the associated link to read the Science Daily article (the peer-reviewed scholarly primary article is also provided. Use this article as needed for additional details). Finally, write a paper that addresses the points outlined below.
Science Daily articles are the main articles you will read and write about – they are “secondary articles” (written by journalists) because Science Daily reports and summarizes new scientific studies. “Primary articles” are written by the scientists who performed the study and these are published in scientific journals. You will using the Science Daily articles for your writing, but you can add details from the primary article. Reference BOTH articles in your paper. When you quote OR summarize info from either article, reference in your paper – right where the quote or summarized material ends.
Article options (choose one):
1. Gut bacteria from wild mice boost health in lab mice. Researchers recently reported that laboratory mice that are given the gut bacteria of wild mice are better able to survive an infection of the flu virus as well as fighting colorectal cancer. Secondary article abstract
Gut bacteria from wild mice boost health in lab mice secondary article link
Journal Reference: Rosshart S. P.,Vassallo, B. G.,Angeletti, D., Hutchinson, D. S.,Morgan, A. P.,Takeda, K.,Hickman H. D.,McCulloch, J. A.,Badger, J. H., Ajami, N. J.,Trinchieri, G.,Pardo-Manuel de Vilena F.,Yewdell, J. W.,Reherman, B.et al. Wild Mouse Gut Microbiota Promotes Host Fitness and Improves Disease Resistance. Cell, 2017 Nov 16;171(5):1015-1028.e13.2017 DOI: 10.1016/j.cell.2017.09.016 primary article reference
2. Multivitamins in pregnancy may be linked to lower autism risk in children. An international research team set out to assess whether nutrient supplementation during pregnancy is associated with reduced risk of autism spectrum disorder, with and without intellectual disability.
Journal Reference: DeVilbiss, E. A., Magnusson, C., Gardner, R. A.,Rai, D., Newschaffer, C.J. Lyall, K., Dalman, C. Lee, B.K., Antenatal nutritional supplementation and autism spectrum disorders in the Stockholm youth cohort: population based cohort study. BMJ, 2017 Oct 4;359:j4273. DOI: 10.1136/bmj.j4273
3. Higher dose of vitamin D increases bone density in premature babies. Recent investigations suggest that if the standard supplementation of 400 IUs of vitamin D is increased to 800 IUs daily there are reductions in the number of premature and preterm babies with extremely low bone density.
Reference retrieved from:
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0185950 primary article link
4. High blood pressure lowers significantly after drinking tart montmorency cherry juice. Drinking tart Montmorency cherry juice significantly reduces human blood pressure at a level comparable to that achieved by medication.
Journal Reference: Keane KM, George TW, Constantinou CL, Brown MA, Clifford T, Howatson G (2016), Effects of Montmorency tart cherry (Prunus Cerasus L.) consumption on vascular function in men with early hypertension, The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 103 (6), 1531–1539, https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.115.123869
After selecting a topic and reading both the Science Daily article (see above) and the provided peer-reviewed primary research article as a reference, please write a paper adhering to the following guidelines:
Paper submission – upload to the appropriate assignment folder by the set deadline
- Use the Science Daily article, and if needed also the scholarly article, to identify and describe the steps of the scientific method. Which observations do you think the scientists made leading up to this research study? Given your understanding of the experimental design, formulate a specific hypothesis that is being tested in this experiment. If a hypothesis is stated, please rewrite it IN YOUR OWN WORDS. Describe the experimental design including control and treatment group(s), and dependent and independent variables. Summarize the results and the conclusion (50 points)
- Criticize the research described. Things to consider: Were the test subjects and treatments relevant and appropriate? Was the sample size large enough? Were the methods used appropriate? Can you think of a potential bias in a research study like this? What are the limitations of the conclusions made in this research study? Address at least two of these questions in your critique of the research study (20 points).
- Discuss the relevance of this type of research, both for the world in general and for you personally (20 points). Proper grammar will count for 10 points.
- Write a paper with title page, introduction, paragraphs addressing the questions, conclusion and references. As a minimum, you should have TWO references (the Science Daily article and the Journal Reference). You must write in your own words and paraphrase information from the selected information sources, addressing each of the questions for your chosen topic. Your paper should consist of less than 10% direct quotes. Your paper should be 500 – 750 words, excluding references and title page.
My advice – in the introduction paragraph, identify by title the Science Daily article you chose. Don’t list the scientific method steps, just identify in this paragraph what the researchers observed the problem was, and then go into what their study was going to do to help out. Then state IN YOUR OWN words state their hypothesis for study. Next, I recommend you use subheadings (italicized titles for sections of your essay- (Study Design (Groups and Variables), Study Pros and Cons, Relevance, etc ) to organize your paragraphs. Read the assignment instructions to see what you should cover, By using subheadings, essentially you are outlining your short essay here. All essays should start out with an outline
All papers are written by ENL (US, UK, AUSTRALIA) writers with vast experience in the field. We perform a quality assessment on all orders before submitting them.
We provide plagiarism reports for all our custom written papers. All papers are written from scratch.
Contact us anytime, any day, via any means if you need any help. You can use the Live Chat, email, or our provided phone number anytime.
Get your money back if your paper is not delivered on time or if your instructions are not followed.