Linguistics and Modern Grammar
INSTRUCTIONS FOR ASSIGNMENTS: PHONOLOGY
The phonology project consists of transcribing the oral responses of another person and showing the pitch, stress, and juncture of an utterance.
- Visit the International Dialects of English Archive. (http://www.dialectsarchive.com/)
- Using the same two speakers from your phonetics assignment, you will look at the phonology of the first four sentences of the shared reading passage (“Comma Gets a Cure” or “The Rainbow Passage”).
- Include a brief description of the subjects interviewed.
- Write the sentences using standard English orthography and show the pitch, stress, and juncture for each sentence (8 sentences total).
- Include all of the juncture marks with your keyboard.
- You can include your pitch lines, number, and stress markings in your word processor (if you are able), or you can print out your document, draw your pitch lines using black ink, and scan your document.
- Include an analysis and conclusion noting the differences and similarities in the pitch, stress, and juncture between your two subjects.
- Fromkin pages 243-246
|Subject 1: “California 1” read “The Rainbow Passage.” She is a native English speaker from Southern California and is in her early 20’s. She has a Valley Girl accent.|
|Subject 2: “Bulgaria 1” read “The Rainbow Passage.” The speaker is from Bulgaria and is a young woman in her 20’s. She is well traveled and has lived in the United States for the purpose of studying.|
|Sub 1||When the sunlight strikes raindrops in the air, they act as a prism and form a rainbow.|
|Sub 2||When the sunlight strikes raindrops in the air, they act as a prism and form a rainbow.|
|Overall Conclusions: I found that when…|
All papers are written by ENL (US, UK, AUSTRALIA) writers with vast experience in the field. We perform a quality assessment on all orders before submitting them.
We provide plagiarism reports for all our custom written papers. All papers are written from scratch.
Contact us anytime, any day, via any means if you need any help. You can use the Live Chat, email, or our provided phone number anytime.
Get your money back if your paper is not delivered on time or if your instructions are not followed.