Caption: GRAY v. MARTINO, 91 N.J.L. 462; 103 A. 24 (N.J.1918)
Gray (cop) v. Martino (crime victim)
- Cop sues for reward money.
- District court awards money to the cop.
- Defendant appeals.
At the time the contract was formed, was the plaintiff acting as a police officer charged with a legal duty to catch criminals without further reward?
- Plaintiff makes a verbal contract with defendant. In return for $500, plaintiff will find defendant’s stolen jewels.
- Plaintiff had knowledge of whereabouts of jewels at contract formation.
- Plaintiff is a special police officer and has dealings with prosecutor’s office.
- Defendant published advertisement for reward.
- Plaintiff finds stolen goods and arranges return.
Rule of Law
- A public officer cannot demand or receive remuneration or a reward for carrying out the duty of his job as a matter of public policy and morality
- However, it is not against public policy for a police officer to receive a reward in performance of his legal duty if the legislature passes a statute giving the reward to the public at large in furtherance of some public policy – such as preventing treason against the US.
Reasoning or Analysis
- Court finds sufficient evidence to characterize Gray as a public official.
- His interaction with the prosecutor’s office weighed in as a factor in suggesting he had a legal duty.
- Since he is characterized within the rule as a public official, he cannot, as a matter of law, receive a reward for the performance of his duties.
Holding or Conclusion
Court reverses decision of lower court in favor of the plaintiff since he was characterized as a public official. “Pre-existing duty Rule”.
All papers are written by ENL (US, UK, AUSTRALIA) writers with vast experience in the field. We perform a quality assessment on all orders before submitting them.
We provide plagiarism reports for all our custom written papers. All papers are written from scratch.
Contact us anytime, any day, via any means if you need any help. You can use the Live Chat, email, or our provided phone number anytime.
Get your money back if your paper is not delivered on time or if your instructions are not followed.