In Module 5, you are learning about how cells and tissues are organized. The extracellular matrix or ECM, often referred to as connective tissue, holds cells and tissues together through a complex combination of secreted molecules. The ECM is composed of 3 major components, including proteoglycans, collagens and elastins, and multi-adhesive matrix proteins such as laminin, fibronectin, and fibrillin. Defects in any of these components of the ECM may result in a collagen or connective tissue disease. There are more than 200 different connective tissue and collagen diseases, such as Marfan Syndrome, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, Osteogenesis imperfecta, and Hutchinson-Gilford Progeria Syndrome.
Week 10: For this discussion, you will choose a cell biology article from a scientific journal (not from the popular press) about a collagen or connective tissue disease. To search for a disease to study you may first want to use the Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man® (OMIM®). Go to: http://www.omim.org and select clinical synopsis. Try different search terms (connective disease, fibrinogen disorders, collagen disorders, laminin defects, etc.).
Submit an original post that contains the following sections:
- Article link: Provide a link to the article or attach a complete copy of the article for your classmates.
- Citation: Give the complete citation for the article including title, author(s), date, publisher, etc.
- Summary: In your own words, summarize the main points of the article.
- Molecular Basis for the Disease: What molecule(s) are responsible for the disorder. Has a mutation(s) been identified?
- Disease: What are the symptoms of the disorder? How does the defect in a certain biomolecule manifest itself at the organismal level?
- Approach: Do you feel that the researchers used an appropriate experimental approach in their study to address their hypothesis?
PLoS Biology, a peer-reviewed open-access journal published by the Public Library of Science
All papers are written by ENL (US, UK, AUSTRALIA) writers with vast experience in the field. We perform a quality assessment on all orders before submitting them.
We provide plagiarism reports for all our custom written papers. All papers are written from scratch.
Contact us anytime, any day, via any means if you need any help. You can use the Live Chat, email, or our provided phone number anytime.
Get your money back if your paper is not delivered on time or if your instructions are not followed.