There are three troublesome issues that have emerged in the advancement of APRN practice. These issues in APRN include: 1) the clear role development and morphed to fill gaps in services; 2) the lack of clarity regarding role uniqueness; and 3) the dearth in nursing specific outcomes. From your readings this week, discuss 1 of the 3 questions. Begin your discussion with the question you will be addressing.
- Why might the development and morphing of roles based on gaps in medicine be problematic for advancement of APRNs? What actions might a nurse take to reduce this?
- In what ways can an APRN distinguish his or her role from other nursing roles and medical counterparts? Why might this be important?
- How can APRNs encourage nursing-based outcome studies?
- Length: A minimum of 250 words, not including references
- Citations: At least one high-level scholarly reference in APA from within the last 5 years
For the past 16 years, the public has voted nursing the most trusted profession in Gallup’s annual honesty and ethics survey of professionals. Nurses and APNs provide essential services, are knowledgeable about consumer needs, and interact closely with health care consumers across a variety of care settings and social groups. This gives APNs a broad appreciation of health needs and an understanding of the factors that affect health care delivery (ANA, 2018). Health policy refers to decisions, plans, and actions that are undertaken to achieve specific health care goals within a society (WHO, 2018). Policy reflects the values of a society. Policy advocacy has the two sides of self interest and of the public spirit or sense of community. APNs have been on the forefront of advocacy for promoting healthy individuals and communities. Policy advocacy is working toward meeting society’s health care needs. According the scope and standards of nursing practice, advocacy is an ethical and moral obligation of the nurse. What role can you take in advocating for your profession and the consumers we serve?
American Nurses Association. (2018). Health policy. Retrieved from https://www.nursingworld.org/practice-policy/health-policy/
World Health Organization. (WHO). Health policy. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/topics/health_policy/en/
- Lecture – Health Policy and the Advanced Practice Nurse
- Ch. 10 – Public Policy and the Advanced Practice Nurse
- Ch. 14 – Advocacy and the Advanced Practice Nurse
- Ch. 25 – Advanced Practice Registered Nurses: Accomplishments, Trends, and Future Development
Joel, L.A., (2018). Advanced practice nursing. Essentials for role development (4th Ed.). Philadelphia, PA: F.A. Davis. [ISBN-13: 978-0-8036-6044-1]
Welcome to Week 5
Many nurses do not believe that health policy impacts their practice. This week we will focus on the role of public policy on the advanced practice nurses role in health care. APNs must lend their voice to public policy and advocate for the APN role. One simple way to advocate is to ensure your patients know that their provider is a nurse practitioner or those you teach or supervise know you are an APN. Future of the APN is promising and open to all the possibilities.
All papers are written by ENL (US, UK, AUSTRALIA) writers with vast experience in the field. We perform a quality assessment on all orders before submitting them.
We provide plagiarism reports for all our custom written papers. All papers are written from scratch.
Contact us anytime, any day, via any means if you need any help. You can use the Live Chat, email, or our provided phone number anytime.
Get your money back if your paper is not delivered on time or if your instructions are not followed.