Answer all assigned questions and problems, and show all work.
- Balance the following redox equations by the ion-electron method.
- H2O2 + Fe+2 → Fe+3 + H2O (in acidic solution)
- Cu + HNO3 → Cu+2 + NO + H2O (in acidic solution)
- CN– + MnO4– → CNO– + MnO2 (in basic solution)
- Br2 → BrO3– + Br– (in basic solution)
- S2O3–2 + I2 → I– + S4O62– (in acidic solution)
- Calculate the standard emf of a cell that uses the Mg/Mg+2 and Cu/Cu+2 half-cell reactions at 25ºC. Write the equation for the cell reaction that occurs under standard-state conditions. (10 points)
- Predict whether Fe+3 can oxidize I– to I2 under standard-state conditions. (10 points)
- Consider the following half-reactions:
MnO4–(aq) + 8H+(aq) + 5e– → Mn+2(aq) + 4H2O(l)
NO3–(aq) + 4H+(aq) + 3e– → NO(g) + 2H2O(l)
Predict whether NO3– ions will oxidize Mn+2 to MnO4– under standard state conditions. (8 points)
- Which species in each pair is a better oxidizing agent under standard-state conditions? (16 points)
- Br2 or Au3+
- H2 or Ag+
- Cd2+ or Cr3+
- O2 in acidic media or O2 in basic media
- Under standard-state conditions, what spontaneous reaction will occur in aqueous solution among the ions Ce4+, Ce3+, Fe3+, and Fe2+? Calculate ∆Go and K for this reaction. (8 points)
- What is the potential of a cell made up of Zn/Zn2+ and Cu/Cu2+ half-cells at 25ºC if [Zn2+] = 0.25 M and [Cu2+] = 0.15 M? (8 points)
- Consider the electrolysis of molten barium chloride, BaCl2. (a) Write the half-reactions. (b) How many grams of barium metal can be produced by supplying 0.50 A for 30 minutes? (10 points)
- In a certain electrolysis experiment involving Al3+ ions, 60.2 g of Al is recovered when a current of 0.352 A is used. How many minutes did the electrolysis last? (5 points)
All papers are written by ENL (US, UK, AUSTRALIA) writers with vast experience in the field. We perform a quality assessment on all orders before submitting them.
We provide plagiarism reports for all our custom written papers. All papers are written from scratch.
Contact us anytime, any day, via any means if you need any help. You can use the Live Chat, email, or our provided phone number anytime.
Get your money back if your paper is not delivered on time or if your instructions are not followed.