A Dolls House – Nora and Krogstad
Pg 22 – 29
Rank, Nora, Torvald (or Helmer), Kristine
- Nora and Mr Rank: flirting, she feels empowered (false?) + vulnerable
- Nora and Kristine tries her influence to get Kristine the job
- Krogstad is anticipated
Look carefully at movement top of page 17.
Who’s on stage and where are they, and talking to whom?
à Pg 18: “a bad case of that kind in talking with Helmer at this very moment” Then Krogstad leaves
à Pg 20: “Yes, he’s just gone”
à Pg 23 he returns: then the episode begins
Nora is playing hide and seek with the children
- Close with children
- Symbolim of the game (hide and seek) in broader adult context
- Provides cover for the dramatic entrance of Krogstad
Pg 23 stage direction show Nora startled, language shows her unguarded, unprepared, on the back foot. She has to think quickly.
Pg 24 clipped dialogue shows she is readjusting her approach
- It emerges that he needs something from her: how do they both attempts to assert power?
à top Pg 26 “beyond my power” “I have my ways of making you” “I don’t think you paid very much attention to all the incidentals”
- What are these “incidentals”?
à Has Krogstad taken advantage of Nora’s vulnerability at the time her father was dying? Top of Pg 27
These incidentals are the key to two things:
- Each getting what they need – Krogstad, his job: this is leverage for him and Nora was able to get the money for Torvald
Krogstad took advantage of Nora: “the faintest idea” Pg 29
- Encourages us to think about justice of the law – right thing vs legal thing
Ibsen leaves this episode with a stalemate, as a stand off where each has a card to play but cannot play if before the other one makes a move.
How does Ibsen use the relationship and transaction between Nora and Krogstad to explore power, secrets and the idea of justice and law?
All papers are written by ENL (US, UK, AUSTRALIA) writers with vast experience in the field. We perform a quality assessment on all orders before submitting them.
We provide plagiarism reports for all our custom written papers. All papers are written from scratch.
Contact us anytime, any day, via any means if you need any help. You can use the Live Chat, email, or our provided phone number anytime.
Get your money back if your paper is not delivered on time or if your instructions are not followed.